Wayne County, IN Sheriff's Office
Merit Officer (Patrolman) Training
Upon being hired, new merit patrol officers will complete the following training:
Merit Patrolman are required to attend at least 24 hours of accredited training per year.
- Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Pre-Basic Course
- 40 Hours
- Training consists of an overview of criminal and traffic law, firearms, emergency vehicle operations, domestic violence, mental health awareness, among other topics.
- Completion of this course gives a new officer police powers until basic training can be completed (basic training at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy must be completed within one year of pre-basic training).
- Upon being hired, officers immediately attending the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic training may not be required to complete the pre-basic training course.
- Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Basic Training – Tier 1 (No Prior Police Experience)
- 600+ Hours
- Training consists of topics such as criminal and traffic law, firearms, emergency vehicle operations, physical tactics, EMS awareness and human behavior.
- Upon completion of basic training, graduates become certified police officers in the State of Indiana.
- Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic physical standards
- Field Training Program
- Observation Phase – 50 Hours
- Phase 1 – 168 Hours
- Phase 2 – 168 Hours
- Phase 3 – 152 Hours
- Shadow Phase – 152 Hours
About Us |
Media Reports |
Contact us at (765) 973-9393