Wayne County, IN Sheriff's Office
Merit Officer (Patrolman) Hiring Process
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- Must have eyesight correctable to 20/50.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Indiana driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be a resident of Wayne County within 90 days of appointment.
- Must never have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- Must have no involvement with illegal drugs & pass a drug screen.
- Must be able to meet the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic physical exit standards during the agility test phase of the selection process.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must have one of the following:
- Completed at least 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of credit from an accredited college or university and have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale.
- At least three years previous full-time paid, successful (sworn) law enforcement experience having graduated from a state accredited police academy (entry level law enforcement basic training curriculum) in which the essential job functions were performed at a satisfactory or above level, as witnessed by the employer or documented by employee evaluations.
- At least three years previous full time paid, successful corrections/jail experience in which the essential job functions were performed at a satisfactory or above level, as witnessed by the employer or documented by employee evaluations.
- At least two years of active military duty with an honorable discharge or currently serving at a minimum rank of E-4 (or its equivalent) in the US Military service.
- Online application
- Written test
- Agility test - (Exit Standards)
- Oral interview
- Background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological examination
- Physical exam
- The timed written multiple choice test is a position-specific test.
- The interview is a structured oral interview with procedures that evaluate the interpersonal and reasoning skills of applicants using standardized methods, developed and directed by an Indianapolis based management consulting firm.
- The interview will be conducted at the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office using officers of various ranks as members of the interview team.
About Us |
Media Reports |
Contact us at (765) 973-9393